- Medical Malpractice
- Health Law
Admitted to Practice in
- Northern District of Iowa
- Southern District of Iowa
Contact InformationVince S. Geis
Shuttleworth & Ingersoll, P.L.C.
Phone: (319) 365-9461
Fax: (319) 365-8443
Vincent’s AssistantName: Haley Fauconniere
Phone: (319) 731-2201
About Vincent S. Geis
Vince is an Associate Attorney whose practice focuses on medical malpractice, health law, and litigation. He graduated with his J.D. with high distinction from the University of Iowa College of Law in 2016. While attending law school, Vince served as the Director of the Trial Advocacy Board and was a member of the Trial Advocacy team. He also served as Administrative Editor for the Iowa Law Review and a staff member at the law school’s legal writing center. Vince was a Summer Associate at Shuttleworth & Ingersoll in 2015. Before going to law school, Vince taught high school English and Spanish through Teach for America–St. Louis.
Vince lives in Mt. Vernon, Iowa, where his wife, Amy, is a dentist. They enjoy spending time with their families at Lake Okoboji.
- University of Iowa, B.A., English, International Business Certificate, Spanish Minor (2011)
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D. (with high distinction) (2016)
- Iowa Law Review, Administrative Editor (2015–2016)
- Trial Advocacy Board, Director (2015–2016)
- American Bar Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Linn County Bar Association
Awards and Recognitions
- Robert S. Hunt Legal History Award (2016)
- Boyd Service Award: Highest Honors (2016)
- Iowa Academy of Trial Lawyers Award (2015, 2016)
- Jurisprudence Award for Academic Excellence: State Constitutional Law (2016)
- American Board of Trial Advocates Award (2015)
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence: Legal Analysis Writing and Research (2014)
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence: Evidence (2014)
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence: Topics in Criminal Law Practice (2014)
Community and Personal
- Willis Dady Emergency Shelter, Board of Directors
- Iowa Legal Aid, Volunteer Lawyers Project
- American Mock Trial Association
- Cornell College Mock Trial Team, Assistant Coach
Recent News Updates
From the Desk of Vince S. Geis
Iowa Supreme Court Holds that Immunity Against Liability in Connection to Child Abuse Reporting is Broad
By: Vince Geis*
*Vince was a summer associate at Shuttleworth in 2015 and a student at the University of Iowa College of Law.
In Nelson v. Lindaman, No. 13–0719, 2015 WL 1874605 (Iowa Apr. 24, 2015), the Iowa Supreme Court decided what evidence a plaintiff needed to proceed to trial for claims against a doctor for failing to detect and report child abuse. Construing the statutory immunity provision broadly, the court decided such a case only withstands summary judgment when the plaintiff shows the doctor acted dishonestly.